Pages

Friday 16 May 2014

#9 of 30-Day Art Challenge

9 - 'SOMETHING YOU LOVE'
 
The peonies are out in full bloom now it's May, and there's a bank of them growing along our road, plus many of my neighbours have them in their front gardens. We don't have any!! The ones in our road are deep pink, so I thought I'd have a go...
 
 Pencil and watercolour, A3 size

For some reason my blog wishes to show the images at 90 degrees!!
Anyhow, I enjoyed this challenge. it was a bit daunting, and I took ages picking an image to use as a basis for ideas. I watched loads of YouTube videos last night on  Watercolour Techniques so I tried to use some of them, but it was very tricky; the paper still went bumpy, the colours still bloomed, I still created water pools... etc etc...
What I do like about the painting is this area: 
 

 
The white left round the edge is actually quite effective and the petals have a good soft gradient.
 
Areas I still want to improve:
-outlining effectively
-mixing colours in the palette
-preventing too wet / too dry
 
Well, onwards and upwards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment