Pages

Friday 6 June 2014

#30 of 30-Day Art Challenge

Day 30
 
I did it!!
Woop woop!
Challenge completed.
 
Seahorse - watercolour and brush pens
 
So on reflection, what have I achieved?
What have I learnt?
What will I change?
 
  • I have discovered many different artists whose work has inspired me (inc. Marion Smith, Sam Toft, Angie Lewin, Emily Gravett, David Roberts, Clare Mackie, Sarah Dyer among others.)
  • I put more value on 'creative time', and this has enabled me to produce one or more new pieces every day of this challenge
  • I can work with watercolour much more confidently, and have discovered more about pencil work, and where I might wish to use digital manipulation
  • I have actually produced more than 30 pieces in 30 days - big achievement! I've come a long way from that pen-pot drawing on day #1.
  • I learnt when to pick up my tools and when to put them down - as I said yesterday, prioritising and balancing with all the other 'jobs' on my to-do list
  • I realised it's ok to give yourself permission to get on and do something you love, that feels part of you, and really brings you joy. It's ok, it really is. As long as the sacrifice is not too painful for those around you (who are gradually being buried under piles of laundry)
  • My family really support me in this, and that has been really good to learn. My husband shared this blog with others, encouraged me at the start, and my daughter wants me to draw her now, and has even made other suggestions for me to 'do that and put it on your computer mummy'.
  • I truly didn't consider whether or not I could fulfil this challenge. It was totally personal and private at the start. I told my husband on day #4 and after that I gradually mentioned it to others as I grew confident. It remains fun. It remains motivational. It remains creative. That was the criteria laid out and it still is.
  • There is a difference between blogging my progress just for me and sharing this with others. As I read somewhere this week, we are all encouraged to make marks on paper as little children, but then somewhere along the way the unconscious experimental freedom of 'creativity' becomes conscious. Someone comments, has an opinion, shares their view, offers ideas on improvement. And suddenly we are self-conscious, aware of how our creations look to others. And the fear of 'not being good enough' comes in. I've produced a variety of images during this challenge, some I am proud of, others much less so. I have my own standards, others will have theirs. All I know is what is good enough for me.
  • I need to now think less about this for a while, so I will set myself the challenge of producing one new piece each week (or posting at least once with some new development), and will try to post on the same day every week. I do leave things to the last minute though, so who knows if this will work.
Let's see where it takes me!!
 
“Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” — Mary Lou Cook


No comments:

Post a Comment